SWG: Vision of Hope - Powered by vBulletin

User Tag List

Thread: Server Migration, testing, and timeline.

Project Admin
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Server Migration, testing, and timeline.

Server Migration

Hello VoH! As long as our testing and validation proceeds successfully, on July 24th we will be migrating to a new hosting company on a new server. This server is less expensive, yet has all the hardware we will need to run our project. We have made this decision due to ongoing tech support difficulties with OVH, and various financial reasons, such as the price of upgrading storage at OVH.

The new machine is 12 cores, 24 threads with 64gb of ram and over a terabyte of SSD storage + 2TB of HDD storage, and 10 dedicated IPV4 addresses on a dedicated 1gbps link that gives true speeds of 800mpbs down and approximately 700mbps up. All of this for a low price of $121 a month. Compared to $191 for our OVH system, which doesn't give us the IP's necessary to run our whole network from one spot for one price, as well as our website server $29/mo, patch server (hosted privately), and gives us our own firewall to hopefully prevent (or at least mitigate) network attacks in the future.

This would make our monthly donation target only $125 total.

We have already purchased this server and made dry runs (last week's ~4 hour downtime) to make sure the migration is a success and to get an ETA for when it's go time. The test migration went very smoothly, and faster than any of us expected.

This means we have an exact 100% copy of VoH up and running at this time (frozen in time last week). Total migration time was about 5.5 hours.

This weekend, we will be putting up a copy of a new swgclient_r.exe for you to download - this client will have the new server connected to the "test center" button on the login page. We would like as many people as possible to log in and play on that server for a few hours at the same time. This will allow us to validate that the hardware will handle the load properly both on the hardware and network, before we actually migrate.

If everything goes well with the tests, we will do the migration on the 24th, and at that time you will need to re-download vohpatcher.exe, delete your launcher and swgclient_r.exe and run the new patcher to point your game files at the new servers. This will also be the day that we will migrate from swghope.com to swgvoh.com

We ask your patience during this time, and look forward to making the switch as seamless and as quickly as possible.
    Zombienerd
    Your friendly neighborhood Administrator

Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, didn't we just do this?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Enthor View Post
    yes lol...im not seeing point of this anymore just makes people less wanting to touch us if they see migrations every 2 months or less.

donations seem to be fine...well above the server cost thanks to karq..

just seems more work then whats really needed and is only being done due to a small community i kinda prefer having a server ready for 1,000 players then us having to worry one day of geting a huge influx and needing a migration but just my voice

Developer
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You must have quit playing live right away, there was always maintenance issues, downtime for restarts, server merges...blah blah blah

"You've gazed into the Dark Side...but the Dark Side has already seen you." - Dark Lord Horrar - Founder/Mandalorian Shadow Lords

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LordHorrar View Post
    You must have quit playing live right away, there was always maintenance issues, downtime for restarts, server merges...blah blah blah
    okay let me get this straight your gonna make that comment after Make a comment about it being pretty odd every month or two to do a migration..see now you arejust acting like a dick tbh if you cant handle a post maybe as bad as DARK IS devs shouldent be A:Staff B:make comments on the forums C:Jump the gun on every damn post anyone makes.

now the whole i didnt play live..haha play the fact that i have had to bring so many hidden SOE's Patch notes to staffs attention a while back because you devs do a change that never existed on live or did a change based on assumption ...or having to rely on our fucking guild to actually find 85% of the bugs on hope..

oh btw soe never did migrations patch days and maintance the whole changing hardware or host every 2 months or 3 rather then just admit theres a low population and theres no need for a powerful server when infact being prepared is better then being unprepared like legends was..

if you cant handle criticism or opinions from a community and act professional you likely should not be even on staff and just a contributor..

but whatever i was pretty nice now im just going to be a toxic bitch to you and any staff congrats? sure hope you dont expect me or nitro to help test your new hardware come weekend

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LordHorrar View Post
    we played til the end. We didn't quit. Her question was legit asking why. If that is a problem then talk to me and don't expect me to be nice.... blah blah blah
    Husband of Erotica <3

Project Admin
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Enthor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Erotica View Post
    yes lol...im not seeing point of this anymore just makes people less wanting to touch us if they see migrations every 2 months or less.

donations seem to be fine...well above the server cost thanks to karq..

just seems more work then whats really needed and is only being done due to a small community i kinda prefer having a server ready for 1,000 players then us having to worry one day of geting a huge influx and needing a migration but just my voice
    Well, we tried to migrate back in April. It didn't quite go as planned, we ended up with a mish-mash of new and old hardware - once again due to OVH's (lack of) tech support, and ended up costing us more than the original setup.

The new server will handle our needs for quite some time to come, is cheaper, and is scalable to boot, meaning if we ever do get close to tapping out our hardware capacity, we can upgrade in place without need to migrate.

Believe me that we wouldn't be doing this if we didn't think it was the best way forward for the project as a whole.
    Last edited by zombienerd; 07-13-2018 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Changed March to April, I had my dates wrong.
    Zombienerd

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zombienerd View Post
    Well, we tried to migrate back in March. It didn't quite go as planned, we ended up with a mish-mash of new and old hardware - once again due to OVH's (lack of) tech support, and ended up costing us more than the original setup.

The new server will handle our needs for quite some time to come, is cheaper, and is scalable to boot, meaning if we ever do get close to tapping out our hardware capacity, we can upgrade in place without need to migrate.

Believe me that we wouldn't be doing this if we didn't think it was the best way forward for the project as a whole.
    atleast your reply was respectful and told us what was going on. But didn't we do one in may as well?
    Husband of Erotica <3

Project Admin
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
    But didn't we do one in may as well?
    Lol, I was a month early, and you were a month late. The messed up migration was in April. I thought it was March but I just checked the notes and I was wrong.
    Zombienerd

Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The migration is never the issue, just the lack of information up front. I'm good.

Thread Information