SWG: Vision of Hope - Powered by vBulletin

User Tag List

Thread: [4/29] Server Update

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[4/29] Server Update

Hello SWG Vision of Hope community members, we will be taking Indominus down on Sunday, April 29, 2018 at approximately 8:00 PM EST for a server migration. The downtime is expected to last 2-4 hours while we transfer the database and quality test the new server. After long investigation and experimentation since our last server migration back in December, we have decided to migrate the game server to an even smaller, faster server than before. With this new server, we should expect to see higher stability, faster load times, and possibly even lower ping. Along with this new server, we will be using a new, more stable environment. This new environment should make it possible to go past our one week uptime without having any in-game issues. Also included, will be Hotfix 0.5.5, which will fix many existing bugs. The patch notes for Hotfix 0.5.5 will be posted sometime over the weekend. We will be lowering our monthly donation goal from $240 down to $160.

Below is our old and new server specifications:

If you have any questions, please let us know!

May the force be with you,
    SWG Vision of Hope Staff
    Last edited by Iosnowore; 04-29-2018 at 05:32 AM.

Think you have what it takes to be a developer? Please take a look here.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The database transfer is taking longer than intented. The server should be up within 8 hours.

Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it up yet?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    any update..we know the ovh end is a lie ....so what happend...another code cleanup and deleted something..

CSR Staff
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erotica View Post
    any update..we know the ovh end is a lie ....so what happend...another code cleanup and deleted something..
    The OVH issue was not a lie. You shouldn't speak without knowledge

With the migration came a new database server on OVH. It was not ready to go when the old DB server was disconnected. OVH was supposed to install a GUI front end on the server, and the process kept failing. OVH tech support was slow in communication. When I found out that all the new server needed was a GUI installed, that happens to be one of my areas of expertise. I volunteered to take over the project to get the new DB server online.

The server was pre-loaded with Debian 9, which prior to a few weeks ago still had GCC4.9 capability and was compatible with Oracle Enterprise DB 12c. Unfortunately, it took two days of troubleshooting to find out that the latest debian chances made it incompatible with compiling Oracle.

Today, we rolled the server over to Debian 8, got the DB Software installed, and are working on transferring all the databases from backup. This is still a time intensive process without a set ETA. More things could still fail between now and going live. We are working diligently to get everything back online as quick as we can.
    Last edited by zombienerd; 05-03-2018 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Clarity, grammar
    Zombienerd
    Your friendly neighborhood CSR
    VoH Event Coordinator

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zombienerd View Post

With the migration came a new database server on OVH. It was not ready to go when the old DB server was disconnected. OVH was supposed to install a GUI front end on the server, and the process kept failing. OVH tech support was slow in communication. When I found out that all the new server needed was a GUI installed, that happens to be one of my areas of expertise. I volunteered to take over the project to get the new DB server online.

The server was pre-loaded with Debian 9, which prior to a few weeks ago still had GCC4.9 capability and was compatible with Oracle Enterprise DB 12c. Unfortunately, it took two days of troubleshooting to find out that the latest debian chances made it incompatible with compiling Oracle.

Today, we rolled the server over to Debian 8, got the DB Software installed, and are working on transferring all the databases from backup. This is still a time intensive process without a set ETA. More things could still fail between now and going live. We are working diligently to get everything back online as quick as we can.
    oh i'm sorry but im kinda sicka you and the staffs bullshit excuses last time we were given this bullshit we lost half the community because of a month rollback over 50+ players dipped last time you were not here for it but hey....i mean our track records great quite a lot of code cleanup leads to half the game breaking. hard to trust this project anymore when it's exact same crap for 6 months+. people who stuck it out i very much doubt will stay again way to many migrations that happen to end up breaking the server or rollbacks. welp seeya in a few weeks when it becomes stable again..lol

Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zombienerd View Post

No problems. However, speaking without knowledge is a favorite pastime of mine.

Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fuck-an-A, loading!

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Enthor View Post
    Fuck-an-A, loading!
    And online!

Thread Information